Thursday, August 14, 2014

Planting Seeds of Resiliency



"Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with the seed on an equal or greater benefit." 
~Napoleon Hill 
 
The concept of resiliency has received a lot of attention in the social and behavioral sciences. Central to most researchers' definition of resiliency is the notion of strength in the face of adversity. I like to think of resiliency as the capacity to find satisfaction in life, even in the wake of multiple traumas. In other words, the resilient personality has the ability to make negative personal experiences, bearable.

As you might expect, people typically do not immediately adjust well to personal tragedies. The loss of a loved one, the loss of a job or the news of a chronic illness can lead most people to feel overwhelmed by negative emotion. 

We often see a three phase experience in such instances. The first psychological responses to personal tragedy, trauma or loss, are typically vacillation between shock and denial. This usually quickly resolves to a second phase where most individuals are able to get in touch with their emotions related to loss and grief. A third phase then emerges whereby the individual experiences a sense of meaninglessness and a loss of life purpose.

Somewhere between that second and third phase, resilient people seem to launch onto an uncommon trajectory.  Those people who are highly resilient will begin to cope because of the meaning they have and find in their personal lives. You see, it’s the people who are in search of meaning in their lives that tend to not merely survive their tragedy, but come to thrive in the aftermath of the tragedy. And believe it or not, one of the most common themes to emerge in resilient people is the tendency to find personal life meaning by providing benefit to others!

Two examples of highly resilient people that I like to point to include Dr. Randy Paush and Candace Lightner.

You may recall Professor Paush from his now famous “last lecture” video. The Carnegie Mellon University professor had been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer and given only a few weeks to a few months to live. Rather than use his remaining time sitting around feeling sorry for himself or getting depressed, Dr. Paush used the internet to publish an inspirational video (and later a book by the same title) that not only talked about what it means to live a life of generosity and positivity, but left the legacy of the video and book, both of which continue to live on, showing exactly what overcoming obstacles in life
looks like.

Likewise, Candace Lightner founded Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) in 1980 following the tragic hit and run motor vehicle accident that fatally wounded her 13 year old daughter. Lightner could have done nothing, but instead, she founded MADD and in doing so, she found new meaning in her own life by creating what would become one of the nation’s most successful charitable operations.

What makes a Randy Paush or a Candace Lightner more resilient than the average person? I happen to think it is something I like to call the “seeds of resilience” and I happen to believe those seeds can not only be planted in anyone, but with proper care, they will sprout up at just the right time—a time of unavoidable crisis. 

In my practice, one of the things I do is help individuals to learn exactly what their areas of strength and vulnerability are. By learning this, I can help coach my clients to plant some of their “strength seeds” in their more vulnerable areas so that when tough times come, what sprouts up from them is resiliency that brings them beyond surviving and into thriving!

If you would like to learn more about how I might be able to assist you, I invite you to contact me. I can be reached at my Uptown New Orleans office at 504-481-8997.

Dr. Eileen Wynne